Sunday, July 8, 2012

Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas


       This was the first roasted chickpea recipe I ever tried. Since then, I've been addicted to all sorts of different recipes, including the Cajun spiced ones I posted earlier. My experience with actually making these sorts of chickpeas, though, haven't always went the way I wanted them to. For instance, the first time I made these they didn't come out as crunchy as I wanted them. Of course, that didn't stop me from eating them--I actually turned them into a post-workout snack for a while. I've resorted to thinking, however, that this particular recipe isn't meant to get as crunchy as corn nuts or snacks like that. Why? Because whenever I try just roasting them longer than 45 minutes the cinnamon starts to burn, and I doubt anyone likes that flavor. But I do recommend roasting them right until you get to that point; in my opinion, these taste better with a bit of a bite to them. Ultimately, there is only one thing I don't like about this recipe: they get your fingers a bit sticky. Their tasty goodness makes up for it though.




Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas
recipe from Pastry Affair


Ingredients
  • 1 15-oz can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
  • 2 teaspoons oil
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon honey

*This recipe is super-duper easy to double. If you plan on sharing, I recommend it.

Directions

--Drain the can of chickpeas and then rinse them under the faucet until the water running over the beans is no longer abnormally bubbly.

Optional--Peel all the skins off the chickpeas.

--Dry the chickpeas off, getting them as dry as possible without squishing them.

--Whisk together the oil, cinnamon, and sugar in a small bowl. Then add the beans, stirring until completely coated.

--Place the chickpeas on a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with sides and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until no longer soft in the middle. I didn't spray the pan, but you could if you wanted. (The original recipe says 35-40 minutes but I can never get them as crunchy as I would like. Just keep an eye on the cinnamon otherwise it may burn.)

--After roasting, put the hot beans in a bowl and coat them with the honey. I just eyeball this part and don't worry about the one tablespoon worth.

--After the beans are coated in honey, transfer them back to the baking sheet so the honey can soak in and dry a little bit. Keep in mind, though, that the beans will always be a little bit sticky.

--Eat as many as you want =)




Happy Baking!
--H

No comments:

Post a Comment