Saturday, June 30, 2012

Honeyed Figs with Goat Cheese and Toasted Almonds


Just like sands through an hour glass....

Cliche I know, but my goodness how true!

I'm sure you can relate to the feeling that you consistently have more to do than you do time and that somehow a year goes by without barely blinking.  I will not pretend that my life is any more hectic than yours or bore you with a rant of how busy I am that I can barely eat. However, since this is a food blog, I will share with you my little bits of heaven, my little moments of wonderful, my little morsels of goodness that happen across my hourglass every now and then.  Figs are one of these little sweet spots in my timeline and let me tell you, you should fit them into yours.  They are anciently good. I'm talking a Greek goddess snacking on a plate similar to this, as the cool Mediterannean breeze brushes over her skin good! You can be that goddess.  Don't laugh, you can! No breeze you say? Well get your kids or your hubby or handsome neighbor to gently fan you (one of those mist/fan spray bottle things would be superb for this!) and close your eyes and tada! Greece! No need to spend a couple grand on a plane ticket, $5 and cooperative assistant and you have yourself a mini vacation in the middle of your crazy little life.

Still laughing?

Didn't think so.


Honeyed Figs with Goat Cheese and Toasted Almonds
Creative genius: ME =)

1 basket Mission Figs
1 T honey
1 T goat cheese
1 handful slivered almonds, toasted

Trim the stems off the figs adn cut them in half. Scatter on a plate.

Drizzle the honey over the figs and crumble the goat cheese over as well. 

Toast the almonds in a cast iron skillet until you can smell them (3-5 minutes) shaking the pan often. Sprinkle the almonds over the figs and prepare to go to Greece.

Skeptial of this combination, I was too until I popped that first bite in my mouth.  Delicious! This snack feels sophisticated and grown up and sometimes you need that in your life when you are surrounded by bottles or sticky hands or nagging husbands even. And if you happen to have a glass of wine (Moscato is nice with this) I won't tell.  After all, you are a sophisticated, elegant goddess!

Enjoy!
LL

No comments:

Post a Comment