Thursday, January 26, 2012

Sweet Potato Buttermilk Pie


       This is my last post about what I made during Christmas, then we're caught back up to date. I did make several other things, but I unfortunately neglected to take pictures. That's okay, though, I took pictures of my favorites! Included in which was this Sweet Potato Buttermilk Pie. Last December, I really wanted to try my hand at making a pie from scratch again. (My official first time making pie was when I made the Personal Cardamom-Apple Pies.)  Not only that, I wanted to make a pie I had never eaten before. Considering I was in the midst of a Sweet Potato kick, I figured this pie was my best option. Yep, I was right. This pie was so silky and fluffy and smooth I didn't want to stop eating it. I did, though. I had to share. It's similar to pumpkin pie, but there is just enough of a difference where the flavor keeps you intrigued. When you make this, you won't want to share either.



Sweet Potato Buttermilk Pie
Recipe from Smitten Kitchen


Ingredients
  • 1 prebaked, 10 inch crust
  • 1 1/4 cups Sweet Potato Puree
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3 large eggs, separated (3 yolks and 3 whites)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpoe flour
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk


Directions

--Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

--In a large bowl, combine the sweet potato puree, butter, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.  Mix thoroughly after each addition.

--In a different bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks for about 30 seconds. Add the sugar and beat together until creamy, about 1 1/2 minutes.

--Add the egg yolk mixture to the sweet potato mixture and mix together until everything is thoroughly incorporated.

--Add the flour in parts and stir after each addition. Mix thoroughly.

--Add the buttermilk and stir until completely incorporated. You want the mixture to be creamy and smooth looking.

--Next, put the egg whites in the bowl of your stand mixer; have the whisk attachment hooked up. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. This can take a few minutes.

--Once the egg whites have hit the desired consistency, fold in the sweet potato  mixture with a spatula until thoroughly combined.

--Pour the sweet potato mixture into the prebaked crust.

--Set the pie on the middle oven rack and bake 35-40 minutes. You want the center to be firm and set. When you jiggle the pie, it shouldn't slosh around.

--After the pie is done baking, let it cool completely.

--Serve the pie at room temperature or chilled with dollops of whipped cream on top (optional).

--Enjoy!



Happy Baking!
--H

No comments:

Post a Comment