Thursday, April 25, 2013

Orange Dreamsicle Cookies




       Once upon a time I made Lime Sugar Cookies and I suggested substituting other citruses for the lime. These cookies are just that, but also a couple other changes: instead of lime I used orange, I added white chocolate chips, and I didn't roll them in sugar before baking. Thus Orange Dreamsicle Cookies entered my life. See how fun and easy it is to come up with a completely different dessert/snack?
       For me, what really make these cookies awesome are the white chocolate chips, adding a creamy deliciousness only they can. (Actually, I've decided the only reason I like macadamia nut cookies is because of the white chocolate chips. But that's a whole different story. Speaking of different stories, see that pattern under the cooling rack in the picture? That's my new apron my sister gave to me for my birthday!) The orange comes through nicely, too, creating a refreshing cookie. Betchya never thought you'd hear those two words together. If you really wanted to, I suppose you could add orange food coloring for added "orange" effect, but I like them the way they are. 




Orange Dreamsicle Cookies
Adapted from My Baking Addiction


Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Ingredients
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 cup orange juice (one orange)
  • Zest of one orange (you can use less if you want, but I like it better with most of the zest)
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips



Directions
--Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

--Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and the salt in a bowl and set aside for later.

--In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat until it's really fluffy.

--Add the egg, vanilla, orange juice, and orange zest. Mix until thoroughly combined.

--Stir in the flour mixture a little bit at a time. Combine thoroughly. Mix in the white chocolate chips.

--Roll cookie dough into 1-in balls and place them on the parchment-lined cookie sheets, about 1 1/2 - 2 inches apart.

--Bake for 8-10 minutes.

--Let cool on the cookie sheet for a couple minutes before moving them to a wire rack.

--Enjoy!




Happy Baking!

--H

No comments:

Post a Comment