Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Honey Cornbread


       I don't recall ever eating cornbread when I was little. I don't know if that's because I live in the upper Mid-West and it's not a common staple, or for any other random reason. Nevertheless, it's become one of my favorite dinner additions. I used to use the simple Jiffy mixes, but then I discovered Krusteaz's Honey Cornbread which immediately became my preference. Actually, I still use it all the time; sometimes a person just needs super-simplicity instead of just simplicity. Speaking of which, that's exactly what this recipe is--simple. Stir all the ingredients together, pour the batter in a greased pan, bake, then eat. Voila! I particularly like this recipe because of the honey. It keeps the cornbread moist, sweet, and delicious. Stored in an air tight container it can last several days, too.



Honey Cornbread
recipe from foodnetwork.com


Ingredients
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 stick butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup honey
Directions
--Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
--In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Then add the whole milk, eggs, melted butter, and honey. Stir until evenly mixed.
*If you want you can mix the dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls and then combine the two bowls together, but I found it unnecessary.*
--Grease and 8x8 pan, cast iron skillet, or muffin tins; pour the cornbread batter evenly into the pan.

*If making muffins, this recipe makes 12. I had a 12 inch skillet I poured my (doubled) batter in to.*

--Bake for 15 minutes, until golden.

--Enjoy =)



Happy Baking!
--H

No comments:

Post a Comment