Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Rum-Coconut Banana Bread


       
       I don't understand the way so many people seem to be getting tired of banana bread. I mean, why mess with perfection? But I can understand wanting to get creative in the kitchen--that's why I've tried other sorts of banana recipes myself. Yet, no matter how many different things I try I always wind up disappointed, wishing I would have made banana bread instead. Well, in the spirit of continuing culinary creativity, I decided to give this recipe a chance. No matter what I knew I wanted to make banana bread with my overripe bananas, but after I saw this recipe I decided a little rum couldn't hurt. ;) The original recipe only had 3 tablespoons of rum and I thought that was a ridiculously small amount for an entire loaf. I couldn't even taste it in the batter! So I increased the it to an entire half cup, also increasing the amount of flour to make up for the extra liquid. Although I'd like to say this made all the difference, it really didn't. I STILL couldn't taste the rum. The banana flavor was still dominant. Maybe to get a stronger rum flavor standard ripe bananas would be best rather than overripe ones. This way their potency wouldn't overpower the rum. It's just a theory, though. Ultimately, however, despite my desire to taste more rum, the final product was still a delicious and moist banana bread.





Rum-Coconut Banana Bread
slightly adapted from My Baking Addiction


Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup spiced rum
  • 5 medium overripe bananas, mashed (about 2 cups)
  • 1 cup flaked coconut


Directions
--Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

--Grease and lightly flour a 9x5 (or close to it) loaf pan.

--In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and the salt.

--In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar together until completely combined and fluffy. Then add in the eggs, vanilla, rum, and bananas, stirring until thoroughly combined. Finally, gently stir in the coconut.

--Pour the batter into the previously greased/floured loaf pan; bake for 65-75 minutes. (Mine took 73, but it's good to check earlier just in case.) A toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf will come out clean when it's done.

--If you floured the loaf pan then you won't need to wait to flip it out onto a wire rack. If you didn't flour the pan, wait at least 10 minutes before you flip it out.

--Enjoy warm or cooled =)

--Once completely cooled, wrap the loaf in plasic wrap, then again in tin foil to keep it fresh.




Happy Baking!
--H

No comments:

Post a Comment