Friday, April 6, 2012

Mini Coconut Cream Pie "Nests"


       As most everyone is well aware, Easter is almost here! I wanted to make something super cute to bring over to my Grandma's house for Easter Dinner, but with the end of the school semester fast approaching itself, I barely have time to make myself decent suppers. Chick cakepops, bird nest cupcakes, bunny butt cakes, Easter egg cookies--I wanted to at least make something. For two weeks now I've been trying to convince myself that I needed to work on my thesis instead of daydreaming over cute treats. Clearly, that didn't work so well. However! I did compromise between my need to use time efficiently and my desire to create something tasty and adorable: I made coconut cream pie nests! See, I've been seeing posts about cookie-nests, cupcake nests, and regular cake nests, but not once have I seen a pie-nest. Then it dawned on me--that's what I could make. Plus, it was super fast because of the convenient invention of ready-made pie shells.



Mini Coconut Cream Pie "Nests"

Ingredients
  • 1 package of mini graham cracker pie crusts (contains 6 crusts)
  • 1 package instant coconut cream pudding mix (3.4 oz)
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • whipped cream
  • 2 cups flaked coconut
  • mini robin egg candies

Directions
--Remove crusts from packaging and set them in a row on the counter.

--In a medium bowl, whisk the pudding mix and milk for two minutes, pour into the pie shells. You will have a little bit left over. Put that in a small bowl, refrigerate, and enjoy as a snack later.

--Refrigerate pies until firmly set.
--Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, continuously stir the coconut until golden brown. Make sure you pay attention: after it starts to brown it can burn quickly.

--When pies are set, spread a layer of whipped cream over the filling. Top with toasted coconut.

--Place about three mini eggs in the middle of the pies to make them look like nests, and you're finished!




Happy Easter!
--H

No comments:

Post a Comment