Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pecan Brown Rice


       Rice is one of my favorite side dishes--it's so versatile. Making rice with pecans, however, is one way I have never heard or thought of preparing it. So when I came across this recipe my interest and curiosity was instantly piqued. I thought it would make a delicious fall/winter side dish--I was right. The spices freshened up the flavor, while the pecans brought the dish down to a complex and earthy taste. In the original recipe, the pecans were nearly completely pulverized, but I decided to keep mine small yet chunky. This way, the rice had a bit of a crunch to it. Besides making a good side dish, I personally think it makes a good light-ish afternoon meal as well. In fact, that's what I did with the leftovers. Super handy for the college student on the go. =)



Pecan Brown Rice
Recipe barely adapted from allrecipes.com


Ingredients
  •  3 cups cooked brown rice
  •  2 tablespoons butter
  •  1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
  •  1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped (or finely, however you prefer)
  •  2 tablespoons parsley, minced
  •  1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  •  1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  •  1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  •  1/4 teaspoon salt


Directions
--Heat skillet over medium heat

--Put in the 2 tablespoons of butter to coat the pan

--Toss the onions, pecans, parsley, basil, ginger, pepper, and salt into the hot skillet

--Saute

--When the onions are tender and translucent, remove the pan from heat

--Stir the cooked brown rice into the pan, combining all the ingredients. Only keep the rice in the pan until it is heated through, then transfer to a serving dish.

--Serve and enjoy!





Happy Cooking!
--H


     

No comments:

Post a Comment